Can I have a public defender?
The Municipal Court has no public defender. However, the Judge may appoint an attorney to represent a defendant if:
- The defendant provides proof under oath that they are indigent and have no means to hire an attorney; and
- That there is a likelihood of jail if the defendant pleads guilty or is found guilty of the charge.
Both requirements must be made in order to have an attorney appointed to represent you.

Show All Answers

1. Can I pay my ticket with a check or credit card?
2. Can I get a continuance?
3. I cannot pay my ticket due today, what should I do?
4. Can I pay a higher fine and have my ticket amended?
5. Can I enter a plea of “no contest”?
6. Can I have a public defender?
7. What if I choose to plead not guilty?
8. Do I need an attorney to represent me?
9. Can I request witnesses to testify?
10. Can I plead guilty and be put on probation?